We are delighted to offer open water swimming here at our private lake in Castle Ashby. The lake was designed by Capability Brown and is overlooked by Castle Ashby House and the Norman Church of Mary Magdelene, offering you a magical place to swim.
We offer supervised open water swim sessions seven days a week, throughout the year.
Just a five-minute drive from The Falcon Hotel, the 500-metre swim course is fringed by attractive water lilies which adds to the serenity of your swim experience.
There are also multiple benefits associated with open water swimming such as improved sleep and mood, here are just some of them, along with some key details to get you started.
If it’s your first time swimming here in Castle Ashby, here are a few important details to get you started:
– Minimum ages is 16 years old to participate.
– Unfortunately spectators and dogs are not allowed which is to ensure the health and safety of swimmers.
– Tow floats are provided.
– There is a marquee for changing, plus a small area for parking, click here for directions. There are no toilets available at the lake.
– Swimming is available year-round. Current winter swim schedule: 08.30, 10,00, 11.30, 13.00 and 14.30. Please download The Falcon App for the latest availability.
– Pricing: £8 per class, or £70 for a ten-swim pass.
– Cancellation window: 24 hours before the scheduled session time. Pass will be refunded back to your user account to use against another session.
-Questions? Please email us for more information.
The cold water stimulates your nervous system, producing a feeling of relaxation, contentment, and ultimately, a better night’s sleep.
Regular swimmers at the lake use swimming as part of their weekly downtime routine for to switch off and enjoy some rest and relaxation.
Swimming in cold water also boosts circulation, as the colder temperature causes blood to rush to your organs and makes your heart work that bit harder.
Your body automatically tries to work harder to keep warm, and so the colder the water, the more calories you’ll burn as your body fires up your metabolism.
Wet suits are recommended when the weather gets that bit colder.
We are one of the few locations in Northamptonshire that offers swimming year-round, with at least five sessions per day.
Cold water causes your body to release endorphins – the natural high that helps us fight depression. Your system will also generate dopamine and serotonin, which make you feel good and reduces any stress – a powerful way to inject some happiness into your routine.
There is also a strong sense of community between the lifeguards and swimmers, so if you’re new to swimming with The Falcon, be sure to interact with us on the Open Water Swim Facebook page for the latest information and tips.
Being submerged in cold water for even short periods of time is enough to make your system produce white blood cells and antioxidants, which is perfect for boosting your immunity to viruses.